Monday, September 22, 2008

Mysterious Mole

As most of my family knows, Mason has had a weird mole to the side of his stomach. It's about
half the size of a piece of corn(just to give everyone an idea). It has been there since he was about a month old. I noticed it but didn't really think much of it. I thought it was kind of a birth mark or something. When I took him to his 9mo Dr. appt(only because I was late on his shots), I asked my Nurse Practitioner if she would look at it to see if she knew what it was. She just said it was a mole but to watch and make sure that it didn't change color or grow. Well the next day I got a call from her and she said that she changed her mind. That night she went home and researched tons of Dermotology books to see if she could put a name to it, but she couldn't. So a little over a month ago I made an appt for last Thurs. to see a pediactric Derm. and we got the results. It is called "Mastocytoma". A collection of mast cells that release histamine when it is irritated/rubbed, which causes it to have reddness and swelling. The doctor said he was surprised that Mason only had one. Usually they are all over the body. He could get more but he probably won't if he hasn't already. I have noticed through out the last 6 months that his skin is very sensitive. If I pick him up from under his arms and then put him down his arms would be really red. When I lay him on the floor to change him and then pick him up his back is all red.

The good news is it is the best kind you can have. There is no need for a byopsy or anything. It will just go away as he gets older. I just have to watch and make sure that it doesn't blister, and when he is older if he breaks an arm or something he can't have demerol, morphine,or codine because it will make the mastocytoma flare. That is only if it hasn't gone away. We are really relieved that it is nothing serious and blessed that Mason is still a healthy boy. By the way, he is walking across the room now. My last baby is growing up so fast. He will be 1 next month. We love him so much. I also have to mention we have no ear drums anymore from his screaming.

7 comments:

spider_webbs said...

Ragno has a large mark on his shoulder that looks like a bruise. I have to explain it to everyone that we are not abusing him. I am so glad Mason's isn't anything serious. Did they give you a time period for it to go away?

Julene said...

Way to go for checking Mama. We are our kids' best advocate, and I'm so glad it isn't more serious. Are you sad he's your last?

Becca said...

I'm glad you were able to find out what that was. Actually, Jackson has the same thing. He has more, some on his back, stomach and legs. When he gets a fever they get red and raise a little, or if you rub them for a while they'll get irritated. The Dr. told me they will go away around 10 years old. Well, he is ten and they are still there. They havn't been a problem though. I never knew about the medicine though. That's good to know. Have a great day:)

Laura said...

The Doc. told me that it would probably be about 2 yrs maybe even sooner.

Anny said...

So glad he's still healthy. It's scary when Dr's are concerned. Hopefully it does go away in a couple of years.

MEANDERINGS OF JANICE said...

Thank goodness that you took it upon yourself to have it checked, Laura. Sometimes little things can turn out to be bigger then we imagine. You are a good mother and will make sure you check up on everything when necessary. That is the best policy when it comes to one's health.

Kass said...

Glad all is well. Every day is a gift that's for sure! He is so lucky to have you for his mom!