Thursday, November 20, 2008

Jared's Ear Scare

I wanted to share the good time Jared had first before
we get to the not so good. This is Jared on Halloween night.
He won 2nd in the potato sack race.

taking a rest on the dirt hill

So here is the bad.
I came home from work on a Wed night around dinner time. Troy tells me
that Jared had stuck something in his ear. It was a little plastic ball. We tried looking
in his ear but every time we got even a little close Jared would flip out. So we decided
to take him to the urgent care. Ears are so sensitive I didn't want to mess with it. Of course
when I got there we had a lot of laughs. Everyone had there attention on our room. Anyways they started one at time trying to use different instruments to get it out. After 2 hours of Jared screaming and his ear swelling the doctor decided that I needed to go somewhere else. So we found a pediactric ER connected to John C. Lincoln Hospital. After going through all the explanations AGAIN and telling them what was not going to work we felt that putting him under would be the only way to remove the ball. There are no words to describe what he went through to get in his IV . Even Mason was crying because he was so scared from Jared. They used three different meds in the injection. One was a pain reliever and the other two were to put him to sleep and an amnesia to help him forget all the trauma he had already been through. Thankfully everything went really well and the doctor was able to pop it out. It was in there pretty good. She had to dig for it. What an experience and I don't recommend it to anyone. I think Jared would agree with me. He said "I am never doing anything like that again". We would greatly appreciate that.

5 comments:

MEANDERINGS OF JANICE said...

Wow! Your children seem to like putting things in their ears, nose or whatever, huh? I'm sorry that it was so traumatic to get it out. You might want to go to the second hospital first next time. We can be thankful that he is alright!

Becca said...

What an awful thing to go through, for mom, dad, and son. Glad everything turned out O.K. It was fun seeing you guys at the wedding!

The Kurtzeborn Family said...

How traumatic for a little boy! Hopefully he sticks to what he says and really never does that again! Boys insist on learning the hard way, don't they? I feel so bad. IV's are terrible and I feel sad thinking about him having to get one. I hope everything is ok with his ear now. I'm so glad you posted!

The Lichlyter's said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious. I am glad you wrote that one down. We miss you guys.

Anny said...

What a nightmare! Brynn put a rock in her ear a couple of months ago, but the instacare told me to try putting warm water in it. After a few squirts it came out. She was very still and calm though, Jared cracks me up! Hopefully his doesn't do that again!